Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Real Life David vs. Goliath

I think I know how David felt.

He was confident, he was faithful, he trusted in the Lord to deliver him from the those trying to hurt him and his family. But, David was also human. As a human it is only natural to feel a bit of nervousness before battle.

Without going into too much detail, I find myself in a similar battle. My battle is against greed, money and ignorance. Of course not mine, if you know me, you know how unimportant money is to me.

Even with this battle looming, I am remarkably comforted. I am still happy. Why? Because I have truth on my side and more importantly, I have the Lord. I know he will deliver me and my family from those who try to hurt us. You know why? Because He says so, many times. He tells me that I don't need to fear, that He will protect me:

Job 5:20-21
In famine He will ransom you from death, and in battle from the stroke of the sword. You will be protected from the lash of the tongue, and need not fear when destruction comes.

Psalm 32:10
Many are the woes of the wicked, but the LORD's unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in him.

Psalm 138:7
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me.

2 Thess 3:3
3The Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one

Psalm 27:1
The Lord is my light and my salvation, who shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Also, because they are so evil and alone, they think that money equals happiness. But since our happiness has nothing to do with money, attempting to taking it from us will not take away our love and happiness.

You know what else? I feel sorry for them. Not in the, "I'm saying that in a sarcastic, mean way." I truly, from the bottom of my heart feel bad when I know someone is so miserable in their own life that they have to try to ruin the life of someone else. To live a life where you are so blinded by your own greed and envy that you can't open yourself up to find true happiness in your own life, makes me sad.

My family and I are incredibly blessed and happy because of our true love, we are happy because of God. Nothing makes us happier than just being together. Those things can not be taken away. They are not something you purchase at a store.

I will pray for my enemies as the Lord instructs us to do. I will pray that He can open their eyes and their hearts. They know that they are flat out lying, they can't be so far gone that they can't see that they are only being greedy and evil. As a mere human, I cannot correct those flaws in them. It has to come from their heart, they have to turn to God. I pray they find true happiness. I pray they can see that no matter what they try, they can't take our joy. They can try to take our money but, God is faithful and after the battle they will still be empty, alone and jealous. We will still be a family full of love and joy. We will be victorious.

I have a few other friends that I know are in the same situation, battling the money and the greed of someone else. You know who you are and I wrote this for you as well. I'm surprised at the number of people fighting this same type of battle. I'm shocked at how evil and greedy some people really are, especially at the holidays. Know, my friends, that you aren't alone, take strength in the Lord, trust Him. Everything will be just fine, God never lies!

No comments: