Friday, December 17, 2010

My Second Best Gift, EVER.

This morning, my 5 year old said to me, "Mommy, thank you for giving me a baby brother." It was one of those moments that, as a mother, I will cherish forever. It helped me to know that, when it comes to my kids, I'm doing something right.

That got me thinking.

I didn't actually give him a baby brother. After all, the baby is not mine to give. To say I gave my son a brother, or my husband a son is implying that I have ownership of that gift. But I don't have ownership, we all belong to God.

So, after wiping my eyes, I said to my son, "Your very welcome, sweetie. But, I didn't give you a baby brother. GOD gave us, our family, that wonderful gift." I then explained to him that all babies are gifts from God and that He is the original owner. He is the giver of those precious little gifts. I am blessed to have received that gift twice.

If the occasion ever calls for it, I will no longer say that I gave my husband a son. I will no longer say that I gave my son a baby brother. I will say to my wonderful husband that I am the mother of his son, that I bore him a son, or something along those lines. I will tell my amazing son that God gave us a baby brother for him, but NOT that I gave him a brother. I don't want to take the credit away from the One who truly deserves it.

With that being said, the second greatest gift I ever received has been my children. They are not mine, they are His. God has entrusted me with them while on this earth.

The greatest gift I have ever received, is the Salvation that came from the birth of Jesus and his subsequent sacrifice on the cross. Let's not forget that, especially at this holiday season.

No comments: