Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It is finished....My year long journey through the Bible

A year ago I started a project. My goal was to read the entire Bible, every word, from cover to cover, in one year. Last week, I finished. It wasn't always easy. There were nights when I wouldn't get to bed until late and my eyes were so heavy, but I still read. When I went to the hospital to have the baby, I brought my Bible and the schedule I used along with me. When we went on vacation, I brought them with me. It takes commitment and dedication to do this in a year, but it is life changing and I would highly recommend it!

There are different ways you can read the Bible. I chose to read a little old testament and a little new testament everyday. The schedule that is pretty close to what I followed can be found here: www.ewordtoday.com/year/31/o.htm

I can not even begin to put into words all that I learned and all the positive changes that have occurred in my life since I began. Like most of us, I knew the most popular stories about Jesus, Noah, Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Saul, John, etc. It was the ones that I had never heard of that surprised me the most. I have a brother named Jason. I did not know what an important role Jason played in the Bible. His home was a refuge for Paul.

Of course, I knew a little about Caleb, my son's namesake, but when reading the story of his strength and faith, I was amazed at how little I actually knew and felt that his name (meaning faithful) was the perfect fit.

I also learned more about Nicholas, Gabriel and Nathaniel. My children have these Biblical names, I wanted to make sure I understood about the people (or in Gabriel's case, angel) behind the names so that I could properly teach my children about their namesakes.

I thought I knew so much about religion, faith, God's laws and commands. I was surprised at how little I actually knew. Until you read all of God's word, how can you be sure you are living the life he has planned for you? How can you be sure you are doing the right thing? I learned that there were things that I was doing wrong, in ignorance. Even though I have been a Christian since I was a child and went to church every Sunday when growing up, there were many things I did not know. There is more to God's laws than just the 10 commandments and until you educate yourself, you are leaving yourself open to disobedience. Even if the disobedience is done in ignorance, you short yourself of all the blessings and happiness God has in store for you. The best thing you can do is educate yourself in God's word. Not only to make sure you are living your life right and are open to receiving all of His blessings, but also, so you can fully understand how much God loves you. I often felt so loved and peaceful when reading. It is amazing the grace, forgiveness, mercy and love God has for each of us. Reading the Bible really reiterates this.

Since beginning my journey a year ago, I have had many positive changes in my life. I feel less stressed, more love, more happiness and more peace. Out of all the books I have read in my life, none have been more life changing.

Try it, see what a difference a year makes!

No comments: