Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thankful Thursday - Photography

"Nicholas must be the most photographed 4 year old ever." I've heard this many times from many people and it makes me smile. Yes, I take a lot of pictures of my beautiful blessing, but probably not for the reasons you may think.

I came from a family of very little means and a camera and film were just not something in the budget prior to the age of two. Because of this, there are all of about 4 or 5 pictures of me prior to turning two. If my grandkids ever want to see what grandma looked like when she learned to walk, had her first solid food, took her first bath, etc., they will just have to use their imaginations because those types of pictures don't exist. I don't want that for my kids. One day, I'd like to show my grandkids what their daddy looked like growing up. I also want my kids to be able to see pictures of events they may not remember without the aid of a picture. Hopefully, the picture will jog a memory for them.

Most importantly, with every picture there is a story. The story is the most important element to me. Sometimes, I have trouble remembering what I ate for dinner last night. There is a good chance that 25-30 years from now, I will forget the funny story that goes with Nic's first bath, or Caleb's first time eating solid foods. The pictures will help me to remember. There is also the reality of the chance that I won't be around or that if I am around, I will have no recollection of these important times due to Alzheimer's or some other illness. That is when the pictures will be even more important. I will need the pictures I have taken to tell the stories that I won't be able to. I see pictures as an opportunity for future generations to learn about their family and get to know them in new and interesting ways. I know I love to look at old pictures of my grandparents and like to know what story goes along with the picture. I want to do that for my children and grandchildren as well. It is so true that a picture is worth a thousand words. I want to make sure my children have millions of words to share about their life growing up, the pictures will help ensure that. This is why for this "Thankful Thursday" I am thankful for photography.

My new favorite photo. We were all snuggling together, just talking and feeding the baby, it was a precious moment and I grabbed my cell phone to take the picture and capture the moment.

My other new favorite pictures capture how much Nic loves his little brother:

No comments: