Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I Adopted a 5 Year Old Boy - sorta...


That's right, you read correctlly! I adopted a 5 year old little boy. Only, I don't get to see him, but that's okay because I know that I'm helping him and sharing with him the blessings God has given to me, and that's what we should all do! My church, as do many churches, helps needy children and famillies at Christmas time. When you pick a child or family to help, you receive a list of what they have on their wish list and purchase those gifts for them so they will have something to open Christmas morning. I "adopted" this five year old boy because he was the closest to Nic's age. I plan on getting Nic involved in helping share the holiday spirit and using this opportunity to teach him, once again, that Christmas isn't just about receiving presents, to teach him that God has blessed us with so much and the best thing we can do with those blessing is to share them, whichever way we can. Of course, times are tough, but there are other ways we also help that don't cost a dime. For example, I ring the bell for the Salvation Army and have Nic help too. You can also do other volunteer work, if you can't buy presents, help is needed organizing and wrapping. Do what you can so that you don't lose the true meaning of the holidays, it truly does feel better to give than to recieve and makes the holidays so much more special when you do.

No comments: